4 Simple Things That Make Men Deliriously Happy
Posted by Girls Guide To on August 3, 2012 at 9:01 PM
Ok, ladies. I found the secret. Seriously. The simple ways you can make your boyfriend eternally happy. While browsing the other night, I came across this article written by a “Mystery Man,” that is so simple and so genius.
Are you ready to know the secrets? Here’s what MM has to say:
“I'm going to make up a statistic. Even though it is entirely made up and based on no research at all, I'm almost 100% certain it is accurate. Ready? Here it is:
Women spend over $80 million dollars a year on magazines that promise to give them the secrets on how to make their men happy.
Again, that stat was totally made up. But I bet you read it and thought to yourself: ‘You know, I bet that's pretty accurate.’ Women are constantly trying to decipher the code of what to do to make the guy their dating consider settling down, and what to do to make their husbands stay interested. And they will spent a lot of money to do it. Well, being the generous and benevolent Mystery Man that I am, I'm going to give you advice that is just as effective as what you'll pay for in a glossy magazine at the check-out counter. And not only is the advice free, but what the advice suggests is either cheap or free. How's that for savings? Anyway, here are four simple things that make men deliriously happy. Do these things, and you'll have a happy life of love:
1. Cook your man a steak. I know, I know. I'm playing into all sorts of stereotypes about men loving red meat and women's role being in the kitchen. But do consider, on a quiet night in when you and your gentlemen don't have any plans, going to the grocery store and getting a steak. Bring it home, season it with salt and pepper, and cook it in a sizzling hot cast iron pan. Put it on a plate with some mashed potatoes, and walk it over to the spot on the couch where he's hunkered down and watching Pawn Stars. Smile lovingly at him, and then watch as he starts considering what engagement ring to buy as he eats.
2. Feign interest, but don't feign passion, in his hobbies. Does your boyfriend love the Cleveland Browns? Does he watch them every Sunday? Does he get incredibly upset when their running back fumbles the ball or when a referee throws a flag? Well, for starters, I'm sorry you're dating a Browns fan, but here's the essential point - unless you are also a Browns fan, do not try to replicate his misery. If you don't care about football, don't scream ‘HORSE CRAP! C'MON REF!’ As much as you think it's supportive to be similarly irate over a play in football, or his character dying in Diablo III, or anything like that, feigned passion only serves to further anger your man. If you're passionate about his hobby, be passionate. But don't fake it. Avoiding this will make him quite happy.
3. Put his clutter away. Your husband is sitting not three feet away from a stack of mail that he has not yet read. You have been staring at it for days. You want him to either throw it out or put it somewhere. It's only fair for him to do so. It's his crap cluttering up the otherwise lovely living room. You want to pester him to do it. You really want to. But... don't. Just put it away for him. Just once, and tell him that you did it. Your husband will be so happy. Knowing that he did not need to get up and put something away, and that his wife did it for him even though he understood deep down that it was his job, will make his day. His whole life maybe.
4. Deciding on a restaurant. If you and your boyfriend are figuring out where you want to go for lunch, and he says, ‘I'm fine with anything, you choose,’ he means it. You choose. Whatever choice you make will be the right one. So make the choice and watch as his day lightens up. You've removed the burden of decision from someone that doesn't want it. There is no simpler joy.”
Fair points, Mystery Man. But I think I’d like to counter that those four things also can make a woman deliriously happy. Agree ladies? Let’s examine:
1. Since I wouldn't want to perpetuate the stereotype that women belong in the kitchen -- and honestly, hasn’t Top Chef taught us that most of the best chefs in the world are MEN -- I think I'd rather he cook, or preferably grill, something for me. Doesn't really matter what it is. Could be salmon. Pineapple...whatever, it really doesn't matter. It wouldn’t hurt if he was shirtless the whole time either...
2. I completely agree with the idea of feigned passion not having a place in a romantic relationship. I get it, I am never going to be as into college football as my guy is, but I am interested enough to watch it and listen to him talk about it for hours. I definitely expect the same courtesy when I start waxing on about the new book I’m reading or the race I want to run.
3. I’m pretty sure number three is every woman’s dream. I love anytime my guy picks something up or suggests some sort of house/yard work. It’s all about initiative and thoughtfulness, right ladies? Now if they would just know how much they’d be rewarded for breakfast in bed…
4. I think a man having concrete plans for a date is one of the sexiest things. I’m not saying that I don’t want to have a hand in panning things too, but planning a date shows a woman that her guy cares and is driven and that she’s been on his mind. Even if it’s not a date and you’re out running errands. Take charge and just make a decision!
Do you agree? Would these four things make you happy?