Signs You're in a Serious, Committed, For-Real Relationship
Posted by Meg Thompson on April 19, 2012 at 10:48 AM
Every relationship has its milestones. Your first date, your first kiss, the first time you spend the night…you get the picture. Well, last weekend my boyfriend hosted our first party together at OUR apartment. And that’s when it hit me that we are in a totally serious relationship (No, it didn't hit me like this a few months ago when he actually moved in. What can I say - I'm a little slow on the uptake). But, not to worry, if you’re not hosting parties with your man or paying bills together, there are 12 other (maybe slightly silly) ways I just read in Glamour to tell if you’re in a committed, for-real relationship. Read on, ladies!
First, Step One: Are you in a relationship? If yes, move on to Step Two. If no: Well, no, you are not in a For-Real Relationship. Breathe a sigh of relief. That was an easy one for you.
Step Two: Read the statements below. If you find yourself saying, "Oh, yeah. That happened last week," or, "That's me!" to at least two of these suckers then you are, according to me and probably everybody in the world, in a Serious, Committed, For-Real Relationship. Congrats!
1. He said “I love you,” and you said...“Thanks.” Just kidding—you love him too! And you say it a lot.
2. You’ve exchanged keys to each other’s places OR have moved in together. OR, if you’re still doing the sleepover thing, you’re starting to leave things (i.e. toothbrush, shampoo, hair dryer) at his place and – gasp! – he doesn’t mind.
3. You used to check with friends or sneak a peek at your mirror on dates to see if you had anything in your teeth, but now you flat-out ask your man, with a huge grin right at the table. And then he helps you figure out which tooth to start picking at. That, my friends, is some serious romance!
4. All of your friends make fun of your signature pose in pictures (you: head tilt, him: tongue sticking out). Oh, and he's probably in your Facebook profile photo. Just like you're in his.
5. Hanging out does not have to mean doing the same thing. You just enjoy each other’s company. And silences are no longer awkward, but sort of nice and comforting.
6. You have a routine. I wake up an hour earlier than my guy to shower, but we wind up doing our hair, getting dressed and leaving for work at the same time. And let’s not forget kissing goodbye and wishing each other a “good day.”
7. You’ve started to combine holidays and split time between his family and yours.
8. Your friends think that by telling one of you something, they’re telling both of you.
9. You know each other’s favorite foods and will often have them WAITING when the other gets home.
10. You can start doing single girl behavior in front of your guy and he doesn’t judge you…that much. The example the article gave was: "Last week I fell asleep with a mask on. When my boyfried got home I woke up and went to kiss him hello… and he just started to laugh. But he still loves me and my face looked amazing the next day. Win-win."
11. You both appreciate (and understand the need for) “us time” and “me time”. You make time for date night and girls' night and relax-with-a-book night.
12. You only have eyes for your partner...and well, Ryan Gosling. Hey, girl. He can't blame you for that.
Well, what's the verdict? Of course there are lots of other signs of committed, for-real relationships…how did YOU know things were getting serious with your man?