Some tips on being POSITIVE!
Posted by Yetti Ajayi-Obe on January 25, 2012 at 12:34 PM
Now I’m not saying these things will work for you, they’re just some things I’m accustomed to doing or things I have come across and wanted to try.
- Eating Right and Exercising: Yep, that’s right and while it might sound like torture to you, it’s peace of mind to me. Feeling like complete poop after skipping a gym session or eating McDonalds is something I can honestly live without. Don’t get me wrong, we are entitled to treats and such, and if your body says no to the gym then give it a rest. What I am talking about though are those days filled with sheer laziness and greed. Those days always end in guilt and that I just don’t need!
- Eliminating the Negative: If mid convo, text, IM etc I start to feel badly about myself, I immediately remove the thoughts and if not I end the conversation. It’s hard to do so when consoling a friend who is only focused on the pain they’re feeling but for other issues, I am spot on. For example I recently decided to take a twitter break because I didn’t want to see what and how well my ex was doing. Whether it’s real, a facade, a coping mechanism, etc, it didn’t make me feel better unless I am doing just as well or better. I decided to remove myself from the situation for awhile. I was allowing my imagination and thoughts to drive me crazy, and until they could calm down this seemed best.
- Positive Affirmations: I have little sheets of paper filled with Yetti-Goodness EVERYWHERE, on my fridge, on my bedroom door, on the bathroom mirror, in my purse, in my cubicle, in my car… you name it, it’s there! I use them as little reminders that I am great, smart, beautiful, etc. I also have a list where I put everything I like about myself and as the days go on my list grows!
- Vision Board/Visualization: Now if you haven’t realized it by now, I am quite the indecisive human being, some pick at it as a flaw, but I simply see it as me. I want to do a lot… I want to do everything, be a Jill of all trades and with visualization I am able to kind of structure my thoughts and desires. This is where the vision-board comes in . I have placed everything I want to do on my vision board. Meet my goal weight & body? It’s on there! My dream job (for now)? It’s on there, even little things like hair length and vacations are on there. They kind of keep me focused and serve as a constant reminder of what I am working towards to become a happier Yetti
- Be Nice To Others: I love to help people out because when I can make someone else happy it makes me happy! I’m a people pleaser what can I say! Please keep in mind there is a difference between helping someone out, being fake and over extending yourself. You want to help someone out because you genuinely want to, not just because it makes you look good, and you want to do so only if your time allows it. If you’re already overworked, how can you bring yourself joy by giving yourself something else to stress over? It wont work out how it was intended to! Even if it is something little, helping someone with their groceries, a small compliment to brighten someones day, or even advice… it goes a long way! (This is coming from a self-proclaimed bitch sometimes)
- Get A Positivity Buddy: My positivity buddies are my aunts in England. No matter what negative thing I say they can negate it. Whenever I’m having a negative moment, they cheer me up and tell me all the things that are going well for me. It’s nice to have people to put things into perspective for you, and are willing to do it constantly until you can learn to do it on your own. Find someone that knows you well and is NOT a Negative Nancy, chances are they can keep you a lot more positive than you think!
- Don’t = Do/Can’t = Can: I’m trying to spin my negative sentences into positive ones, and most of them start with “I don’t” or “I can’t”. Instead of “I don’t like how this is turning out,” I’ll say “I do think this will turn out a lot better if I …”. It all goes into how you think of things, ie: Is the cup half full or half empty?
So there you have it! Tools and Tips that I use to get me on the right track to a better self-esteem and a new and brighter view on life.
What things do you do to keep you positive?