Study Reveals Online Daters are More Likely to Have a Happy Marriage
Posted by Girls Guide To on June 4, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Finding Mr or Mrs Right online is more likely to lead to a happier and longer marriage than getting together through more traditional means, a study has found.
A relationship started in cyberspace is 25% less likely to end in divorce or separation than those that began through friends or chance.
Chicago University psychologists studied almost 20,000 people who had married between 2005 and 2012 and asked them a series of questions about their happiness.
Just over a third had met their spouse online, with around half of these using internet dating and the rest via chat rooms and social networking sites.
Those who were still married were happier if they had met online.
However, relationships that began through work, in a bar or club or on a blind date were 25 per cent more likely to end – and those couples were among the least satisfied, the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences reports.
Professor John Cacioppo, who led the study, said the sheer number of available potential partners online could be among the reasons for the results.
Previous research has shown that online daters are more likely to see each other again after a first meeting because they share more information about themselves online.
If you are typically an online dating hater, here are 10 reasons to try online dating today.
1. You never know who you might find.He might be your soul mate or he might give you a good idea for your next job or pet's name. You never know!
2. There's probably a free trial. If you're not sure about it, don't pay for it! There are tons of free trials out there.
3. Lots of people are doing it. 40 million people in the U.S. have tried online dating. It's OK for you to try too!
4. You'll get a free drink or meal. Even if it's not what you thought, you'll probably get a free meal or drink out of it. Can't complain about that!
5. You can have no regrets. If it doesn't work out, at least you tried. Then when your best friend suggests it yet again, you can decline her with evidence.
6. It can make a great story.That one time you went out with a magician on a blind date and he brought his pet monkey to dinner? It gets a laugh every time.
7. It extends your social circle.Not every guy is meant to be your boyfriend, but there are many that may be meant to be your friend.
8. It's basically like networking. If it doesn't help your dating life, maybe it'll help your career.
9. It does the work for you. If you're super busy at work and with your other commitments, why not let "someone" do the extra work.
10. You can.There are plenty of countries where online dating isn't socially acceptable and you're lucky to live in one where it is. Take advantage!
Source: The Daily Mail
If you liked this article you'll also love:
- 5 Signs He's Not Treating You Right
- 5 Things He Really Wants to Hear Every Day
8 Ways to Let a Guy Know You're Into Him