Top 10 Cardio Workouts Outside of Gym
Posted by Brette Borow on April 26, 2011 at 11:44 AM
It's Day 8 of our Bikini Bootcamp!!!! We've already told you some good cardio choices if you're at the gym but we know some of you can't make it to one. It's no reason for you to feel like you have to skip out on getting in some good cardio so here are our top 10 favorite cardio workouts!
1. Running - Throw on your running shoes, grab your ipod and hit the pavement. If running isn't your thing - set off on a power-walking mission. You can still get your heart rate up and feel like you got your daily dose of cardio. The beauty of this is that you can do it just about anywhere - in your neighborhood, a local track, etc.
2. Tennis - Grab a racket, grab a friend and hit the courts. It's a great cardio workout and burns calories too. Woman weighing 130 lbs could burn close to 500 calories playing singles. However, remember it's about intensity. You have to be running around on the court not leisurely waiting for the ball to come to you.
3. Hiking - This is a great workout. It gets you outdoors and gets you a good cardio workout. If you're not sure what's available in your neighborhood visit Trails and it'll help you find a good one to choose.
4. Workout Video - You don't need to be outdoors to get your cardio fix. Just pop in a high impact cardio DVD and get your heartrate pumping. On days we don't feel like getting out of the house, this is what we opt for - you can even throw on a sports bra & sneakers. We won't lie we've done it many times.
5. Bike ride - This is always a great option for a cardio workout. If you're not a runner or into hiking, a bike ride is the perfect choice.
6. Outdoor Bootcamp - Many communities offer outdoor bootcamp programs some can even run for 6 weeks. You can choose how many days to attend and most of these won't put a dent in your wallet. We absolutely love this type of workout because it changes daily, pushes you to workout hard, and gives you a good overall workout.
7. Horseback Riding - All right we know this may not be an option for many of you but it's a workout we can't leave out. It's a great form of cardio and works your lower half -- perfect for those teeny weeny bikini bottoms.
8. Window Shopping - Some think shopping is a sport. We're not going to say we entirely disagree as long as it's not working your credit card into debt. However, window shopping is a great cardio alternative. It's not high impact but you could definitely get in a good long walk perusing the stores at your favorite mall or shopping area.
9. Swimming - A lot of fitness experts say this is a great form of cardio and we agree. It's easy on your joints too. It's also perfect preparation for all the pool parties coming up this summer.
10. Dance Central - We love workouts we can do in the comfort of our homes. We are the first to admit that workout videos can be boring and monotonous after awhile so opting for some Dance Central (T) on Kinect for Xbox 360 is our latest cardio obsession. All you need is you, your moves and your living room. It's a great workout & will help add a little sass whenever you hit the dance floor!
Bikini Bootcamp is brought to you by the ladies at GirlsGuideTo and Your Shape: Fitness Evolved, a revolutionary new fitness game for Kinect on Xbox 360. Unlike other Kinect games, Your Shape: Fitness Evolved has Player Projection technology that puts your body into the game, giving you the most precise tracking possible. Choose a personal trainer to help you meet your specific fitness goals, take a Yoga or Martial Arts class, or play fun, family-friendly mini-games. The game tailors a workout program to your fitness level that gets harder as you get stronger. As you exercise, you’ll receive specific feedback on your every move so you know you’re doing it correctly. Get real results with a personalized workout from Your Shape: Fitness Evolved on Kinect for Xbox 360. To learn more check out the Xbox for All Facebook page