Top Drawer Essentials: Cubicle Style-Savers
Posted by Bridget Fox on May 4, 2012 at 11:35 AM
I recently started a new job and the office is full of super trendy, well put-together women. Intimidating! Especially if you’re generally a little accident prone like me. By the end of the day, I am usually a wilted mess of a person…my clothes are wrinkled, my hair has frizzed, my makeup has migrated, and I probably scuffed my shoes or broke a heel! Hot mess alert!
I went out to lunch with one of the especially stylish girls and she let me in on her little secret: She keeps a beauty arsenal in her top desk drawer so she can wage war on whatever beauty or style mishap comes her way. Genius! So naturally, I went straight to the interwebs to find a good starting list for my “top-drawer essentials.” Here is a brilliant list from Marie Claire that got me started (and has kept me out of hot mess territory)! To see a larger picture, click here.
1. A perfect 4 p.m. pick-me-up with cooling cucumber: Simple Revitalizing Eye Roll-On, $11.
2. Add instant drama: Dolce & Gabbana Eye Colour Quad in Femme Fatale,$59.
3. Rescue midday raccoon smudges: De-Coy Panda Pen Eye Makeup Remover, $35.
4. Fake a healthy glow: Maybelline New York Dream Bouncy Blush in Fresh Pink, $8.
5. An approachable hint of color and shine: Yves Saint Laurent Volupté Sheer Candy in Tangy Mandarine, $30.
6. Dress up your hair and wrists: Goody DoubleWear 2-in-1 Ponytailers, $6 for three.
7. Pocket-sized snag smoothers: Revlon Box o’ Files, $4.
8. Doubles as a static guard: Fekkai Coiff Sheer Hairspray, $10.
9. A skincare-makeup hybrid, CoverGirl & Olay Tone Rehan 2-in-1 Foundation in Ivory, $14.
10. A velvety complextion perfecter: MAC Prep + Prime Skin Smoother, $30.
11. Portable styling: Sonia Kashuk Brilliantly Bold Hair Brush, $13.
12. Prevent a mid-presentation wardrobe malfunction: Hollywood Fashion Tape, $9.
13. An eye-brightening cover-up: L’Oréal Paris Magic Lumi Highlighter, $13.
14. Fix chipped nails and stocking snafus on the fly: Sally Hansen Ultra-Wear Top Coat, $8.
15. Look awake in a.m. meetings: Shiseido Perfect Mascara Defining Volume in Black, $24.
16. Refresh in a flash: Sephora Express Cleansing Wipes, $9.
17. Transform your look: We Love Colors tights, $10.
18. Go from conference to cocktails, stat: Brian Atwood shoes, (212) 741-0141, $595. (Now obviously, I can’t afford those fab shoes, but here’s a good alternative I found! Any killer black patent pump will do!)
I can tell you, in about a week, these style savers have come in handy. The fancy ponytail bands looked fabulous the other day when I had to quickly braid my frizzed out hair and I used the nail files more times than I can count (embarrassing). Tell me, what do you keep in your top drawer to avoid an on-the-clock crisis. Is there anything I forgot?